Thursday, August 12, 2010

First Day at K-Bridge

Hi All,

Not many of you know that yesterday (11th Aug) was the day when I ushered myself in the world of corporate IT four years back. This never happened in last 3 years but yesterday I was feeling rather nostalgic probably because first 3 words of "nostalgic" rhyme with "nose" and I have runny nose since last 3-4 days!!

There was an interesting thing which happened before I officially joined K-Bridge. I didn't know the name of the person who interviewed me, he just mumbled his name and I didn't bother asking him (Much later, it was revealed that the guy was Vikas. I also found that he got my surname wrong, so I felt the score was settled!!)

Another thing is that when I got call offering me a job, I didn't get the name that time as well and didn't bother to ask. The only thing that I
heard correctly was the remuneration figure!! I also doubted Rediffmail's send "Read Mail Receipt" feature and sent loads of fake mails to my other mail address to verify that it was working.


On the 11th Aug 2006, the start of the day was not very auspicious either. Just after I left my residence, my Scooty lurched to the right (I still remember the direction!!) and caused my entire right shoe and some part of the trouser to submerge in the trademark Vadodara pothole. So, it was muddy, wet and frustrating start of what would be a very important day of my life.

Nothing untoward happened till I reached the gates of K-Bridge. Then I was welcomed by Yogit who seemed like a harbinger of good luck to me :). Due to overnight rain, the bridge floor was slippery. I was extra careful because of I didn't want to wet/injure myself though I was still wet behind the ears (pun intended). But Bhups was in the mood to defy the laws of gravity and break some Olympic records for somersaulting events, so he (not deliberately) did a full somersault right before my eyes and fell flat on his back. I didn't register any emotion on my face but was feeling obviously sorry for him.

Then I was guided to Conf Room where 2-3 people were already seated. I think they were Brinda, Khyati and another Hardik. I also joined them and studied their faces. After some time, Shaunak entered and we all collectively thought that he must be a tech lead or PM or something in that role. I half stood up to greet him but he settled himself rather quickly in a chair nullifying me an opportunity to make friends with a PM so early in my career.

After that it was the usual induction process, signing of letters and everything that follows for a new employee. I was going through lots of emotions though. Never really comprehending a single feeling. I was happy and jittery,hopeful and nervous at the same time. I didn't know anything about the world of web technology. And I'm not being modest here. I really know NOTHING about web technologies except how to use them. The only thing that was keeping me up on my feet was my belief that I can overcome the odds and learn and adapt the new technology.

Once the induction completed, we had a round with Sachin (I guess) about introduction to KBIS, KCMS and KIMS. I had already read about them before joining so that knowledge floated at the top disallowing any new knowledge inside.

Then we were assigned our workstations and I felt devastated to have the PMs (SV and DP) breathing down my neck :). Such is the will of God, I conciled my self.


During the lunchtime also, I was in my shell just like out-of-form Sachin or Rahul Dravid lingering in the 90s. I knew only Jigar and shared his tiffin only. Later in the day, Nitin called all the new joinees and explained the rules and policies of K-Bridge which we all listened to with rather open-mouth then open-mind. The reason I guess none of us had ever experienced such thing earlier.

Out of all K-Bridge policies, we remembered only one thing working
hours. It was 10 to 6. As soon as the clock struck 6, volley of messages started on the Yahoo messenger among 5 of us. Nobody in the office budged an inch to acknowledge that the play time was over.

We thought to comply with the
other colleagues waited till 6:30. No movement. 7:00. No eye-lids flickered. Then we became restive and decided to ask Nitin whether we can leave for the day. All of us went together towards Nitin's office. By the time we reached there, all the bravado vanished and feet turned to stone. Who will bell the Lion ? (Cat is obviously out of place here :) ). After a long discussion, I ventured out to ask Nitin, whether we can leave. He caught the verb "leave" and let us go.

I
was never happier in my life. We all returned to our desks with newly infused lives and packed all the things with encouraging shouts from other seated-and-bound-to-work-late colleagues. Directing good byes to only SV and DP, I dashed for home.


That was the memory of whatever I remember on first day at my first job!!

P.S: I'm using Arial fonts here to be inline with K-Bridge policy.


5 comments:

  1. Hardik...that was very well expressed! K-Bridge memories are still very very fresh in our minds... This shows the impact that we all have in our mind for whatever time we spent at K-Bridge. And when its your first job, it always become very special. No matter how many years pass by or whichever company you work with, we will always remember this.

    By the way, your batch of new joiners was one of the best lot that K-Bridge had. I and Nitin had talked about appreciating your batch couple of times... it did give us a feeling of a successful hiring.

    Some of your achivements was, KIMS and Setup program exes ;)

    As always I always find this space very less toe xpress, but good that you shared your emotions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hardik, real good one! I love the way you articulate - as always :)

    I missed the Bhups somersault on the day 1 and really did a LOL now! That must have been interesting.

    I will always miss the birthday celebrations that I shared with you man! Those were cool days and we should never forget them. Pata nahi when again we can have a birthday celebration together :)

    As Sachin rightly mentioned, you guys were really effective bunch and we, in a way, can admire ourselves to have hired such a bunch of dudes who could understand us better than other bunches!

    When I read this at first, yesterday, I wanted to search for a "like" link and didn't find it :P. Then I decided to re-read and comment today.

    Like you have written, probably each person has almost similar experiences on their first days. Almost all of us have now faced 2 or more such instances after our closure. In any case, for me, the experiences I had at K-Bridge will remain forever. May be, I remember my first day at my first job but the first day at other jobs - may be not :)

    I am sure that other guys, when they read will get inspired to write in a free-flow manner.

    Sachin, let's get the guys to write more often - I know you cna do it ;-)

    All the best to all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hardik :) a very solemn description of your first day though very entertaining. I am forced and geared up to think of my first day and want to express how I made it.Will collect all the thoughts and emotions and will get back in few days(Estimated time = *) as am not wishing for fabricated thinking and get fallible.

    Though it would not be easy for me to get all the minutes back especially those couple of hours after lunch because it's time when eye-lids seems to do weight-lifting each carrying weight of 5 kg, and also as I have switched almost 3 companies after that ;), but right now right here fresh thoughts are of k-bridge only and the friends I made here are of life-time warranty ,ISO and Agmark certified.


    For SV(NB ne ishaara kar diya hai aur ab SV bamboo dega isliye):

    As said "Our minds are lazier than our bodies. ~François, Duc de La Rochefoucauld, Maxims, 1678
    " and I am one among them. LOL


    Bit official... (Note : * indicates not decided) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing hardik, i just verified that you are not inline with k-bridge policy ... font u have used are of 11 size and not 10 ..

    kindly take care next time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks VRD for the deadly inspection :)..

    i'm more than humbled

    ReplyDelete

સુખ માત્ર મંઝિલે જ નથી હોતું, માર્ગમાં પણ હોય છે...

જિંદગીને એટલી બધી પણ ભરી ન દો કે તેમાં સુખ માટે જગ્યા જ ન રહે. તમને ગમે તેવું કંઈક કરવા જિંદગીને થોડીક ખાલી પણ રાખો. સુખ માત્ર મંઝિલે જ નથી ...